Saturday, November 10, 2007


Residing in a country like India, Cornflakes had seldom fallen under our breakfast menu, except for our foreign trips when they used to appear regularly on our breakfast tables!.
We do loved its crunchiness mingled with the chillness of the fresh milk and the chewy dry fruits added, when we make decisions that we should continue this ‘healthy diet norm’ back home..and back to India we would bounce back to our regular heavy diets of Dosas, Idlies and Poories …like a promise unkept :D..!!

I 'warned' my sister umpteen times to keep the theme easy enough for WBB #17 which she had to host this month and even gave her some ideas(even if she didn’t want them ;)) to announce it something like ‘steamed goodies’ or so(as a few of them are waiting ready to be published in my archives).. :)..
Then came the much unexpected announcement of the ingredient–Cornflakes!!..

I googled and googled, came along hundreds of recipes and got hooked (finally) on one of them which seemed to be easy.Again this needed to be baked and to admit the truth, I would be the least confident baker in blogosphere, still in my baby steps with trials.

This is again one of those trials :)

The recipe is from here

Cornflakes, crumbled-2 cups
Flour-1 1/2 cups
Sugar-1cup-I used brown sugar.
Butter-1 cup
Vanilla extract-1 tsp
Baking powder-1 tsp

Cream butter,sugar and the vanilla extract.Sift flour with baking powder and add it to the butter sugar mixture.Stir in the crumbled cornflakes and mix well. Drop by teaspoons about 2 inches apart, leaving enough space for the cookies to spread out .I flattened the cookies with the bottom of a moistened glass as in the recipe and avoided nuts as they were optional. Cream of tartar was skipped as it is was not available here in my place.The cookies were baked for about 15 minutes at 350 deg .


My kitchen had than divine aroma of butter cookies, lingering all the day.
They tasted great with my morning cup of plain coffee and were quite filling that I skipped my breakfast…..Can I name them Corn flake breakfast cookies ?;) and enter the WBB #17, hosted by my sister?.
Coming out with cornflakes and baking together was a real challenge for me. I still have my own doubts regarding, “is this how the real cornflakes cookies look?” or is this the method of making them?Do do they have an unusual darker brown hue? Believe me, they were ‘chewy’ rather than ‘crispy’ and aren’t they thin and flat than the regular cookies?Is it because of too much of butter or since flattened with the back of a glass?...I need help, from my blogger pals who are experienced bakers, here.,please...:)....
Pin It!

0 had something to say: