Monday, May 11, 2009

"

When I woke up on Mother’s day, Anon’s words flushed into my mind "God could not be everywhere and therefore he made mothers"

Still in my home town,I was glad that I could spend this special day with her after a long time;hurried downstairs to hug and wish amma who was making the morning coffee hugged me back with the same warmth,asking me,”Bharathy, what do you want for breakfast?..

Hmm.. something simple..

Chappathis?Pooris?...idiyappam??(all these obviously fall under her easy-to-make list)

what about godhambu dosa and red chammathi?I intruded..

Yeah sure!, but will you blog this?..for me??

YAY!! Why not..??!!..

She deserved another TIGHT bear hug from me…

The batteries were pulled out from the charger and the camera was loaded and all set..

While amma was making them preparations I noted down the ingredients:


Wheat flour - 2 cups
Water – 1 3/4 to 2 cups

Salt to taste

To temper:

Oil-2 tbsps(you may not need oil to make dosas)

Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp

Finely cut big onions-1/2 cup

Green Chillies- slit once lengthwise and across to four pcs- 2

Curry Leaves- a sprig

Method:

1.She mixed the flour and salt in a large bowl.

2.Gradually added water to make a thin batter taking care that no lumps are formed while doing so. I gave her a hand here.

3.The consistency of the batter was thinner than the normal dosa batter. We needed about 1 3/4-2 cups of water.

4.She heated oil in a pan.Spluttered the mustard seeds. Sauteed the onions, green chillies and the curry leaves.Poured this over the batter while warm(not hot, straight from the fire) which I finished mixing by then.

9.She heated up the dosa griddle, greased with a few drops of oil and pouedr a ladleful of batter from the edges towards the centre to form a round shaped dosa.

12.She told me to trickle the edges with a few drops of oil only if necessary.The dosa lifted on its own well with the tempered oil in itself.

13.Allowed to cook for a couple of minutes on each side while turning over. The dosa was ready when browned on both sides.

14.While I took hold of the dosa making part, she proceeded with the red chutney, the divine combination for godhambu dosa

Red Coconut chutney

You need:

Red chillies-6

Coconut -2 cups

Garlic cloves-2

Tamarind- a tamarind seed sized

Salt-to taste

Water- as needed

Curry leaves- 6 nos

Grind all the above with enough water and salt to make the chutney.

Make sure that you pulse the chillies alone at first , grind all the rest except the curry leaves which are to be added lastly.

We settled down together and enjoyed our breakfast together with rest of the members in my family J

I am thinking of getting her some cute gift now.. J

Pin It!

0 had something to say: