Monday, March 12, 2007

Inji Kuzhambu.




Inji/Ginger,we all know has its own medicinal properties as a carminative and goes into a variety of appetising drinks, curries and side dishes.
And here's a recipe by my husband's grandma,which I prepare at least once a week.This Kuzhambu, for boiled rice is definitely opted in our family, back home food, after a holiday.

I prepared the comfort curry along with Urulai kara kari, Tempered green gram dal, Rasam and Vadagam, this time soon back after my 4 day stay in Chennai and proved to be soothing as always! :)

As you can guess by now this is submission to dear Sunita for Think Spice...think ginger.

I feel extremely happy to 'jump in' her great event in the last minute.Thanks to my new camera which made this possible.I am not happy with the picture and will update with a better one later as I have yet to get used to my new pal ;)...


Ingredients:

Ginger(diced)- 1 1/2"piece
coriander seeds -3 tbsps
fenugreek seeds(venthayam/uluva) -1/2 tsp
thoor dal- 2 tsps
dry red chillies- 6-7 nos
thick tamarind extract- 1/3 cup or to taste
turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
salt- to taste
gingelly oil- 2-3 tbsps
mustard seeds -1/4 tsp for seasoning
curry leaves- a stalk

Method:

1. In a tsp of oil, roast diced ginger,coriander seeds,fenugreek,thoor dal and redchillies one by one carefully in a medium flame. Use a heavy bottomed pan for even roasting. Be careful not to 'over' or "under" roast.

2. Grind to a smooth paste.

3. In the same pan,add the remaining oil and splutter the mustards,fry curry leaves.

4. Add tamarind extract,ground paste,turmeric powder,salt,a cup of water and let it simmer for 20 minutes.

5. Add water till a semi thick consistency is reached.

6. Remove from fire when the curry becomes thicker, oil separates and the raw smell disappears.

Serve hot with rice and vegetable of your choice.

Inji Kuzhambu has a longer shelf life compared to the other curries and stays well upto 3 weeks if refrigerated.


Pin It!

2 had something to say:

Shah cooks said...

So close to what I call Injipuli.Anyway, I am also craving to watch Classmates.:(

Bharathy said...

hi, inji girly and shaheen..thnx for the visits.
I have not heard much abt Injipuli..but I am sure kerala dishes won't have gingelly oil and thoor dal in them.
Classmates was shot in the college where I was an OLD student..and the story line exactly of my years there..:)